October 29, 2007

sunday reflections: good guys, bad guys, a royal flush and ¡No más!

He moves closer to the gilded card table. God does not look up, he is busy with all the Godly things that keeps God so busy. He steps closer and ask God if they can play a hand of poker. God says there is no need, "just head on over to the banquet feast, we have been waiting for you." He moves in closer and with a whisper, "God, you will not believe the cards I'm holding. Can't we play just one hand?" God makes a sweeping jester towards the banquet, "no need, just join the party. It's all prepared for you." The pharisee presses his case, "But I have a hand even you won't believe. Look, the ace of spades - perfect attendance and the king of spades - fasting you know." God places his hand on the hand of the Pharisee, "Your cards are no good here. The house always wins. You know that. Don't play me..." With one last rejected plea the Pharisee turns from the gilded table intent on playing his hand.
_________________
This past Sunday I shared my reflections on the story of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector in the temple praying. It is one of the stories that the teacher Jesus shares with the folks who have been following him on his way to Jerusalem. This particular story is addressed to,"those who can be a bit self righteous at times and find some joy in pointing out a scoundrel with they see one." Speaks to me...

You can find this teaching of Jesus in Luke 18:9-14. There is a link to the text here.

If you want to listen to the message just press the play arrow below. Just before I started the sermon a couple of kids came running though the Sanctuary obviously playing hid and seek. After asking them to leave it dawned on me that they are not the only ones playing hid and seek in church today. Aren't we all playing a bit of a hid and seek with God? It's a favorite game of us humans.



To download the message just click on this LINK . It is in "MP3" format.

Please, please let me know of any problems you have listening to the message. This is an experiment and I would like to work out the bugs.

Reporting on the text from my(our) small place in the world

No comments: