October 1, 2007

Are you a Minister? - Who’s Reformed Theology? - My Heart’s OK ! – How about You?

Been an interesting day…

I can’t figure out how they can tell but folks seem to smell “pastor” from across the room. It is always a little unnerving. Why can’t it be… “are you a skydiver?” or “are you a secret agent?” but I have gotten pretty use to being pegged as a pastor type. (mystery writer would be cool).

I know many more people spy the minister than speak to him. When they do speak I wonder what their motives are?

Last week it led to a delightful conversation with an old, Berkeley type, Jewish guy about the state of the world and how religious communities are a place of refuge in this world’s storms. We talked about the power of the communities’ songs and friendships. I was glad to be found out that day.

Today I’m afraid the motive was “theological purity.” I never do very well on this test.

I started innocently enough. “Are you a professor or a minister?” I have found it is better to be honest about this question. It is embarrassing when you get caught in the lie and it turns out you are a minister. “Oh, where do you pastor?” Honest is the best policy though I hope I don't embarrass my church. “Oh… I go to the OPC” (Orthodox Presbyterian Church, the most conservative wing of my little Presbyterian family). I am a little uneasy. I don’t preach this week so I have planned to get in some extra reading and I can see my reading time evaporating.

Folks in the OPC take their theology very seriously. If the truth be known, many OPC lay people take theology much more seriously then I do. Soon we are into a conversation that is moving toward debate with each new topic (doctrine). I can see the divided between our approach to theology widening as she tells me how she was talking to her niece the other day about how important theology is – and points out to me that without good theology her niece could so easily fall into the hands of a demonic cult… and adds “what I have seen since coming to Berkeley” with a smirkie smile and almost wink saying - you know… But I don’t know and kind of wanted to ask but thought that might be in bad taste.

After way too much time (reading, like the sands of time, slipping way) and some uneasiness on my part (I think talking theology across tables at a café is very bad manners) I told her that I thought God was smiling kindly down on our theologizing and how all our attempts at theology would look silly in the light of God’s truth and presence. I knew this would not sit well with my new friend but I thought saying it might be fun on Monday morning.

Her response was to raised her eyebrows saying in an indignant way “Silly?” as to say “your theology might be silly but not mine.”

Now, from past experience, I could see we were coming close to the moment when my life calling as a pastor was going to be called into question.

Right at this critical moment about a dozen two and three year olds where deposited by their teachers next to me on my bench. (God works in mysterious ways.) I could not help but notice a little boy dressed up like a doctor (he was almost sitting on my lap). When I asked what he had around his neck he showed me. He put his stethoscope in his ears, put it to my chest, and declared that my heart was good. "Thanks Doc" I said, he smiled. I helped him put on his shoe. It was a nice exchange. After a short conversation with a couple of three foot tall police officers I looked up and my OPC friend was gone. Soon the teacher came back with snacks from Acme Bread and the kids were on their way.

Before I took up my book again I thought about how much more I liked the conversation about a good heart and helping each other than debating theology. How about you?

Reporting from my small place in the world...

3 comments:

Douglas Underhill said...

You're not preaching this week? Then who is?...

Oh no!

:)

Ken said...

I'll say what you didn't: IF the yourng Dr. Kildare checked the OPC lady's heart, what would he say?

By the way, Doug's got a point, this has the makings of a good sermon. Use Josiah the 8yo king as your talking point.

Read my blog. (Shameless plug!) asojournerontheroad.blogspot.blah blah blah

Ken

As for the youthful cops, be reminded of the centurion over Paul (Acts something, you're the professional)

All my love

Anonymous said...

What great moments with kids there pass your way. With a little music,with your Guitar, God bless you Karl.peace and love Elsa