October 15, 2007

time to stretch, check my pulse, look back, look ahead & set a course for the future

Warning... if you are not my mom you might find this post a little on the boring side as in "why do I care?", but if you do get through it I would appreciate; any helpful hints in shaping this "work in process", as well as your prayers.

I just turned 55. I am in my 9th year serving in my present church and my 26th year of ordained ministry. I am at a point in my life where I am anticipating 10 more years of full time paid work in the church. This year my wife and I celebrated our 20th anniversary and our youngest of 6 children went off to college. (whew... with a wipe of the brow and a sense of accomplishment) My church is in good shape. We know who we are, which I think is a huge accomplishment, but maybe a little weak is seeing where we are going.

In this context it seems like a good time for me to reflect, recharge and open myself to where God will lead in the next decade of my journey of faith as well of the journey of those with whom I travel. Sabbatical Time!!!

For the past two years I have been trying to get one of those big fat Lilly Foundation grants to fund a sabbatical. It was fun looking at all the wild possibilities of having $40,000 of sabbatical cash but I must admit I got a little tired just planning all the wild possibilities of spending that kind of loot.

Now I am on plan B and it feels more like me. More time on a bike than a plane and retreat time on the Northern California coast instead of Bali.

The new plan revolves around a D.Min. class at Fuller Seminary (preaching taught by William Willimon), the Presbyterian version of the 8 day CREDO Retreat (To provide opportunities for clergy to examine significant areas of their lives and to discern prayerfully the future direction of their vocation as they respond to God's call in a lifelong process of practice and transformation), and the possibility of attending a conference for pastor's and their significant others in doing ministry in the small church (funding by the Lily Foundation, thank God for lily).

If I attend all these events this leaves me with about 9 weeks (does that sound sweet) for reading and writing for my D.Min class, taking some unhurried weekends away with Myrna (my most significant other), attending worship in some interesting places where I am not leading, journaling, being spiritually directed, working my garden, playing my guitar and with my grandchildren, sprucing up my old dissertation for self- publication, and of course, riding my bike. Have you started to drool yet?

At this point I am looking at taking this time "away" from mid-April to through mid-July. I would also take a week off at the end of January to take the D.Min. class. As always, details have to be worked out with my Session and our trusty occasional preachers of whom are so found of.

truly a report from my one small place in the world...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We all need to reflect, great idea, enjoy enjoy, Come back refreshed,