October 27, 2007

Singing and Dancing for Peace!

Events are always better when shared with those you love!

Today I had the pleasure of marching for peace with my wife, youngest son and his girl friend.

The pleasure was being able to not only join with what is estimated to be 30,000 people committed to peace but also to spend time with three of the most incredible people I know.

I am so thankful for all the work the organizers did to pull this event off. They were able to get all those independent minded peace groups together for a common cause. For a day 30,000 people marched in unity for 2 miles through the streets of San Francisco in a peaceful demonstration of defiance.

Because we were with two young people of color we were asked to join the front of the march. This was great because this was where the action was. For the entire two hours of the march we sang, chanted, protested with a "die-in" in respect for those who have died, and we danced (you can get a feel for the dance in the video of my son and a strolling troubadour).



I would love to tell you more about my son and his girl friend but this is my blog and not their's. It is enough to say that I feel very good about putting the future of our world in the hands of young people like them. They are smart, passionate and committed to causes of justice for those who are being left behind and besides, they make everything we do more fun. (again, check out the video)

I guess the very best best part of the day though was getting to spend time with my wife doing something we both feel so strongly about. I don't know how I got so lucky to find a partner who shares my values and my heart.

I am glad I made that promise to my grandkids this summer to speak out against the insanity of these past 5 years of war. I hope they will be inspired by what we have done to join with us when it is their time to stand up and try to make a difference for good.

Reporting, with tired feet, from my small place in the world.

No comments: