October 17, 2007

Holy Communion, George, Accessorizing, Bill O’Reilly, Free Samples, and GOD (in caps)

Please don't mention a word of what I am about to say to the polity folks in my presbytery. I am always telling my interns to say as they say and not as I say and do when it comes to communion. At least not until they are ordained.

This week Holy Communion made The San Francisco Chronicle. My friend called me and said, "can you believe it? Communion on the front page of the Chronicle!" and he added, "I would love to see your take on it.” So here goes...

Lots of folks from fellow Catholics to Bill O'Reilly where apparently offended even appalled by the Archbishop of SF allowing two members of the sisters of perpetual indulgence to receive Holy Communion a few Sundays ago. (I used to share beer, peanuts and theological conversation with the archbishop on many Wednesday afternoons at his Seminary in Camarillo in the mid 80s. He was Father George at the time. Good guy but he never seemed like the San Francisco type to me.) I can see how the actions of The Sisters could be offensive. I enjoy their antics at parades and their outlandish accessorizing but only from a distance. I am guessing that some of the details of their lifestyle I would find offensive to my sensibilities. But that is not the point of this blog, it is about communion and who gets it.

I am a little disappointed in Father George in that he felt like he needed to apologies for his actions at worship on October 7th. (Someone videoed part of the worship service/scene of the crime on their mobile phone. So 2007! See for yourself.)


From what I have read and seen I don’t think I would have withheld communion to these two men/women on that day. I think Father George did the right thing in serving them. Instead of an apology I wish he would have issued a clarification of his actions. What a great teaching moment, on the front page of the SF Chronicle. Go for it church man! I would have loved it if he had changed the focus from the people involved in the act to the God of Grace and Mercy and Love.

I am not surprised that the article in the Chronicle focused mostly on the people. (I do think the article was a good one that treated the church's position fairly). What else is their in our world? Father George senses trouble in the ranks. He issues an apology. In his apology he said he didn't recognize either as wearing "mock religious garb.” Looking at the video I find that hard to believe. I guess only in San Francisco a couple of guys can dress like crazy, white faced, psychedelic nuns for church and have no one notice. (Hu... I wonder what his regular nuns look like?) Good ole Bill O’Reilly sees a choice opportunity to rail against those Godless, left wing, left coast liberal freaks. what's new? But what about God?

Holy Communion is not about us, it’s all about God. It’s about the grace of God that has the power to transform us. It’s about our holy meal that we believe gives us the nourishment we need for the journey. It’s about that audacious claim of Christians that around this table we find the grace we need to be a family, in spite of ourselves.

Now for my confession but no apology. (This is the part I don’t want cut and pasted to my Presbytery Executive)

My denomination requires that we Presbyterian ministers only give communion to people who have been baptized. In our invitation to the table we are to say, “all those who are baptized” before we invite folks to receive the elements. It says it right in The Book of Order I can not do this. My invitation has always gone something like, “All those seeking after God…” or “All those seeking to come closer to Christ…” “…are invited to this table of God’s grace.”

I remember the first time I officiated over the communion table and saying “only the baptized” words. In reflection I regretted that I had limited anyone from coming to the table and I vowed to never participate in the required act of fencing our holy table again. I guess, as a good Presbyterian and parliamentarian, I should do what it takes to change our Book of Order to allow this but I don’t want to do that either. Time is short and I guess I believe the only folks who should care about my illegal invitation are those who act on the invitation and come to receive the grace of God, even in their pre-baptized state.

I guess I could sum up my theological stance on Communion and Baptism and who we invite to the table with; “I am a big fan of free samples!” (just watch me at Trader Joes…)

If your product is good enough it will sell itself and what an incredible product I am hawking on the first Sunday of the month! (only once a month?!?! That is another grip of mine but I have not figured out how to sneak that into the service each week with no one noticing.)

I believe Communion is an effectual, evangelist sacrament. I have seen way too many people receive that little piece of Hawaiian Sweet Bread and plastic cup of Welch’s Grape Juice with tears in their eyes not to believe that God is at work in this meal, that God is not present in some mysterious, powerful way when we come to God’s table of grace.

To heck with what people think, this is about God and God’s presence in our Holy Meal. So what if some crazy, passionate, defiant, justice seeking, fully accessorized San Franciscans come to the table asking to be fed. Why in the world would you want to send them away denying them a generous portion of God's grace for the living of their lives? As my friend Piece Pettis says in a song, they might not believe in God, but God believes in them.

I am hoping that Father George’s apology was one of those “it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission things" and that when this all dies down he will do the same thing again.

I was pleased by the email that one of The Sisters (sic) wrote to the Archbishop. The Sister goes by the name of Delta Goodhand, I hope she was, "Just a quick note to recognize the wonderful mass yesterday at your Church. Your entire congregation was so welcoming and it was great to be able to participate. You are a wonderfully inclusive Church." Preach it brother… yer Sister… what ever…

Reporting from my small but fascinating place in the world…

PS you might want to check out my friend monte's take on this same event Just click here

No comments: