October 22, 2007

reflections from sunday - a widow, a judge, rodney king, mother watson & faith

Being the co-pastor of a small multicultural church is never dull. My duties range everywhere from being an emergency plumber to spending an afternoon comforting a 90 year old friend by his hospital bed. I love working with youth, playing folk music with kindergardners, teaching new member classes, discovering the complexities of being multicultural, moderating our boards and helping guide our committees.

But of all the things I do the most important one comes together on Sunday morning.

I have been set apart by my community, both local and national, to spend much of my time digging into words and stories of our text. I was supported by the church to go to seminary to learn the skills of Biblical study. All week long I have the passages for the coming Sunday on my mind and in my heart. As I wrestle with the text I look for the word that will help my community (as well as me). I look for the word that God would have us hear. On Sunday morning I step out from among the community to share my reflections on their behalf.

This past Sunday we looked at the parable of the widow and the unjust judge.

You can find this teaching of Jesus in Luke 18:1-8. There is a link to the text here.

If you want to listen to the message just press the play arrow below.


To download the message just click on this LINK . It is in "wma" format.

Please let me know of any problems you have listening to the message. This is an experiment and I would like to work out the bugs.

Reporting on the text from my(our) small place in the world

No comments: