August 9, 2007

Tip of the Day #6 - Transit 511 or "How to get the heck out of your CAR!"

Sage (my almost 6 year old grandson) and I were walking back from BART the other day (after a trip to San Jose on - car, foot, train, bus, BART). I asked him why we walk. He said, "because it's good for the environment and it makes us strong for when we grow up, right Grandpa?" "Right Sage!"

I am a huge advocate of getting around without a car whenever possible and in the Bay Area it is so easy and enjoyable to do. Lately I have been using a new Internet tool that makes it even easier.

511.org is this great internet site that has everything you need for planning a trip in the greater Bay Area if it is long or short - on foot, bike, BART, car, boat or train.

If you ride a bike check out this site. Here you can plan trips, get information about maps and bikes on transit and even finding a bike buddy to ride with and so much more. I have used bike 511 for planning trips to Pt. Richmond, Novato, San Francisco etc. I get great detailed information with printable maps, bus and BART options and bridge information.

Last Saturday my family (10 of us) went down to see San Jose State University, my son's new school. To plan the trip I got on 511.org. I plugged in my start and end points. Indicated I wanted to take Amtrak on the way down and BART on the way back. I pressed a button and wa-la -- I had detailed directions of how to make my trip with - times, cost, maps, travel advisories - all printable to take with me.

So next time you are planning a trip don't just get in your car and drive. Make your trip an adventure - Take a friend or a child or a grandchild - Take a bus or a bike or boat or a train - and remember some Sage advice - "we walk because it's good for the environment and it makes us strong for when we grow up, right Grandpa?" "Right Sage!"

Reporting from my small - and walkable - place in the world

2 comments:

Debbie said...

That's a pretty cool thing--I wish Seattle had it! I wish the Seattle area had better public transit, even!

I liked what you said in an earlier post about the young man and the rich man who approached Jesus--that they were asking the wrong question. I think that's exactly it. I think that's how so many people approach him, with the wrong questions.

I also read about your praying about the South Koreans. One of the people who belongs to "Christians at Microsoft" is from South Korea, and he knew the first hostage who was executed. He wrote a very moving tribute to him; perhaps I'll e-mail it to you.

It was great to discover your blog!

Debbie

Karl Shadley said...

Thanks Debbie, please pass the tribute on to me. Karl