August 23, 2007

Blogging Towards Sunday - September 2 "True Humbleness..."

Luke 14:1, 7-14 (see below)
I posted this passage earlier than I planned because I am going to be meeting with my friend Albert Lee tomorrow to talk about it. I think the passage has a lot to do with proper humility and I don't know anyone more properly humble than Mr. Lee. Humbleness is not very highly valued in western culture so I think I have lots to learn (Albert spent most of his life in Hong Kong).

I am working with Albert on this because I will be preaching at a combined service with English and Mandarin on September 2. Albert will be my most able translator. We have sermons in Mandarin and English every week at Calvary but it is special when we get everyone together for one translated sermon. I am excited about getting to share with all our members at one time and it is extra special because we will be gathering around the table together for the Lord's Supper.

I value your thoughts on the passage as we discern together "What God has to say to us today."

Luke 14:1, 7-14 On one occasion when Jesus was going to the house of a leader of the Pharisees to eat a meal on the sabbath, they were watching him closely.

7When he noticed how the guests chose the places of honor, he told them a parable. 8“When you are invited by someone to a wedding banquet, do not sit down at the place of honor, in case someone more distinguished than you has been invited by your host; 9and the host who invited both of you may come and say to you, ‘Give this person your place,’ and then in disgrace you would start to take the lowest place. 10But when you are invited, go and sit down at the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he may say to you, ‘Friend, move up higher’; then you will be honored in the presence of all who sit at the table with you. 11For all who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” 12He said also to the one who had invited him, “When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, in case they may invite you in return, and you would be repaid. 13But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. 14And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”


3 comments:

Monte said...

Karl
I love this parable - in particular the setting in which it's told. I think it's about humility - for sure - and at the same time it's Jesus slamming the arrogant. He's watching how people approach the table and "claim" the spot they deem appropriate for themselves. His words are a reflection back upon the inequality that he sees taking place by the very people who should be first and foremost concerned with the excluded, little ones that are beloved of God the "orphan, widow and foreigner". I wonder if they got it? I wonder how pissed they were at Jesus? I wonder if their shame pushed them to finally make the decision to take Jesus out.
Cheers
Monte

Karl Shadley said...

Hi Monte,
I met with Albert Lee this morning to talk about this passage. I am going to preach it on September 2 and Albert will translate. It was interesting looking at it through his eyes. In his humbleness he was not as straight forward as we might be. Albert might say that it only in their shame that they are able to see their shortcomings and turn to the way of God. He also made me look at my own lack of humility.

One of the insights I gained in talking to him was how to present this to the emigrants in our midst (you also have some of these folks). He reminded me of what Eric Law says about how these folks enter into the "Gospel cycle" (see Wolf shall dwell pg 74) on the other side of the cross. This means I spend my time lifting them up. I will also try to have a word for the power (white) folks. This will be more of what a good job you have done - but... We will do this around the table on this communion sunday. Blessings, Karl

Anonymous said...

Karl (and Monte):

If I had reading this blog, maybe it would not have come as such as a surprise of affront _YES, AFFRONT_ when God told me to move my rear end down the road.

I've never ben blessed with a revelation before, so it's been, to put it mildly, a bit of a challenge.

The bottom line is this:
For me these passages calls me to look more carefully at my own life. How is my life reflecting the goodness, justice and love of the Gospel of Jesus Christ? I am inclined to look at my life in a very individualist way. I think these passages call me to look more carefully at how my actions reflect on the greater community.

How can I influence my community positively when I have even a hint of the feeling of entitlement? Karl, you chastised me rightly for testing the taiji class some months ago. It sowed disunity, and there's no place for this in the Christ-guided life. Maybe I'm suffering from cultural miasma, like the 1st-generation Americans with the US flag in their back windows. If so, out with me.

I know I'm being led to a place where I will continue to grow; a place where barriers will be brought down in Christ's name ALONE; and a place where God directs me to serve Himself in a much more uncomfortable setting.

I feel like Paul! How many times was he challenged to move on when all he wanted to do was stay with those he loved? And what great quality of love!

Maybe, Karl, you shouldn't worry. I still have my cloak and my sandals. But for the first time in my life, I feel like a child of God, solely under His direction, solely under his Will.

Monte, I'll see you in October ;)

Ken