August 6, 2007

Our 5 Minute Prayer for Peace

I was amazed... I had thought that 5 minutes of silence during our worship service would be anything but silent.

We had just celebrated communion. After a short introduction for our 5 minute prayer for peace my co-pastor and I sat in our seats (as instructed by the team who came up with this experiment).

Then I waited... for the noise, for my uneasiness over a forced silence, for a kid upsetting the moment. But none of this came to pass.

I had thought the 5 minutes would feel like worship dog years (5x7=35). I must say that I had thought this was a bad idea but I had to live by my mantra. "Ask for forgiveness rather than permission." Change happens best when you try things first and then evaluate the new experience. I had to give this new idea a chance.

I waited... and to my amazement I found myself worshiping. I don't worship much on a Sunday morning but yesterday I did. I found myself lost in this wonderful moment. I found myself in prayer. When the 5 minutes was over I wished it was longer (but I did not want to press our luck).

I look forward to continuing this experiment and hearing how others in my community are responding to the silence. I hope others found a deeper sense of worship in our service last Sunday. I hope others experienced a bit more of God's peace.

Reporting from our small place in the world

2 comments:

ho said...

I really like the 5 minutes of silence. I think there is a great need for silence and listening in our modern society.

Karl Shadley said...

Today our program group (Worship) will be meeting and I will pass on your "vote". Thanks, Karl