August 20, 2007

Blogging Towards Sunday - August 26, 2007 - Luke 13:10-17 - "The Trouble Maker"

The gospel lesson for this Sunday is Luke 13:10-17

This is the powerful story of the healing of a kyphotic (humped-back) woman by a very compassionate but unruly Jesus. The way the writer Luke leads us through this story leaves me with lots of questions, lots of wondering...

I wonder why Jesus called this woman over to him? He must of known the trouble it would get him in. He must have know the attention it would attract. He must have had an idea how his actions would shame the religious leaders. He was leading them into a trap for the people to see them for who and what they really were. I wonder what required him to take such action?

I wonder what the woman was thinking when he called her to come to him? She must have grown tired of the stares, the whispers, the mocking of the children. I wonder why she came to him at all? She must have know that this would lead to no good when the synagogue leaders found themselves standing with egg on their face. I wonder if she had hope that things would change?

I wonder what it would be like to be bent over for so many years? I wonder if the woman had given up hope? I wonder what it was like not to see the sunrise and sunset? I wonder if this aliment was more than just a physical impediment? I wonder if Luke was speaking of you and me as a bit bent over ourselvesf, bent over just enough to miss some of the best God has to offer God's people?

These are the things that I am wondering about as I prepare for the sermon this Sunday. I would love to hear about what this passage causes you to wonder about.

Report from my vantage point in this small place in the world.

* I hope my friend that I stole this title (Blogging toward Sunday) from agrees that imitation is the best form of flattery. Thanks Monte...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

virat around audit transferable successor yrlan retace scanning housed journalists lambha
lolikneri havaqatsu