July 13, 2007

Tip of the day #2- Google Street

Have you tried Google Street. Cool new trick with Google Maps. To get a look at how it works you can take a look at the church I work at at this link . When you get to the map press "street view." You need to move the little yellow man to where the green arrow is. Now you can use the arrows in the top left corner to spin the camera around to see the church (the camera is pointing north so you need to turn it south) and use zoom to get closer. What do you think? Cool or what. You can move the little yellow man around to see different views. Now zoom in to see me hiding in the bushes. (Just kidding but that would be way cool if I pulled that off)

Here is one way I have found Google Street really practical. I wanted to tell a friend about a new restaurant that I was recommending. I knew where it was basically but I could not remember the name of the place. Then I thought... I can "Google-street-it" (new word?). I got on the right street, move the yellow man down the street looking at buildings as I went. And, presto! I found the restaurant and zoomed in on the name. Just like driving by to take a look but I did it all from the comfort of my couch.

Give it a try... you might even find it helpful in exploring our little place in the world.
(have you noticed our little place keeps getting bigger? Funny how that works.)

No comments: