July 16, 2007

Baby Don't You Cry - movie review

My wife, Myrna, and I saw a delightful romantic/comedy a couple of weeks ago. The movie is Waitress, about a diner, its staff and one young woman's belief in the curative powers of pies. It also deals with issues of domestic violence and the power of friendship and hope.

The acting is good, and story is insightful and the ending makes you go home with a smile. In some ways it remind me of a modern day Babette's Feast. I highly recommend it for a date night (that is for the older set at least).

Waitress was inspired by writer/director/actress Adrienne Shelly’s own feelings while she was pregnant with daughter Sophie. Adrienne said in an interview, “I was about eight months pregnant, and I was really scared about the idea of having a baby. I couldn't imagine how my life was going to be, that it would change so drastically that I wasn't even going to recognize myself anymore. I was terrified and I really had never seen that reflected in anything, not in a book or in a movie.” Adrienne went on to express that Waitress is a “love letter to Sophie”.

Their is a very sad back-story to this movie. In real life Adrienne was killed in her New York office/apartment just before the movie was completed. This truly was her Love letter to Sophie. She never even knew of the rave reviews the movie received at the Sundance Festival or that Waitress was picked up by a major distributer. Adrienne's husband established the Adrienne Shelly Foundation, a non-profit organization that will award film school scholarships and grants to women filmmakers.

As I left the theater I could not get a song that Adrienne had written for the movie out of my head. It was a song that Jenna, the pie maker, learned from her mother and seemed to get her through some rough times in her life.

My granddaughter (Rose, just turned 7) and I have been singing it together and it has inspired my grandson (Sage) and I to envision a special pie that we are planning to make for the family when we are on vacation this coming week. (The "can't get enough chocolate... whupped cream... strawberries" grandchildren & Granpa Pie)

You might like to hear a recording of Rose and I singing the "Pie Song" in our living room last week. (When she sings real loud she says she is trying to sound like "a whole children's chorus". Let us know what you think)



Waitress is still playing in our small place in the world at Shattuck and Cerrito Speakeasy Theaters.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karl, I haven't seen the movie, but I just melt inside when I listen to that song and think of how special my own children are to me. The two of you sound great.

Rev.Shad said...

Thanks Kees, I am glad that the song touched you. After seeing the movie I could not get the song out of my head. The next morning I got up and tried to figure it out on my guitar. I have started teaching it to my pre-school kids and they really like it as well. My grandkids walk around singing it all the time. Maybe I will post a picture of the pie we make. Please say hi to your family. Blessings, Karl

steph said...

Hey Karl! Greetings from Holland MI where the pie song really made me smile! Apparently, "pie" is really a big deal around these parts. I'm always being directed to some restaurant or other with the words: "they make really good pies." Thanks for sharing -- just found your blog this afternoon while doing some research (bored). :) Blessings to you!

Karl Shadley said...

Hi Steph,
I just spent a few days in Salt Lake City with the COM/CPM/Seminary folks. Leslie Veen got to come which was cool but we missed you :( Glad you enjoyed the song. I am using it with the preschool that I do music for. They just love it. I think I need to take my granddaughter to the south. She already has the country twang thing down. Blessings, Karl