July 24, 2007

Tip of the Day #4 - Walkability

One the the great things about our neighborhood (the corner of Milvia and Virginia St.) is how walkable it is. Within a mile of where I work are some of the most amazing places to eat, shop, play, people watch, drink coffee, wifi (can wifi be used as a verb?), or just enjoy an afternoon walk. Now I can even score the walkability of our neighborhood on the "walkscore" site. When I plugged in "1460 Virginia St. Berkeley CA" I got a score of 83 (out of 100). I also got some great information about where we can walk to in our neighborhood.

"Walkscore" is one of the cool new Google Maps mashups that brings together Google maps and other data. You can look up your neighborhood as well. Give it a try. Very cool. Enjoy...

PS - I do wish that being near a church were a plus for a neighborhood but alas. I guess this says as much about the church these days as it does about our present culture. I would hope that the work that Calvary and its people are doing in the neighborhood would make our neighborhood a better place to live.

More reporting from our small place in the world.

No comments: