September 21, 2007

silence - prayer - finland - kindergardners - fasting - and a walk for Peace

I have 3 grandkids who think I am pretty special.

I am the grandpa who pulls them in his bike trailer, takes them on urban hikes, plays guitar - singing and dancing with them- and they believe I stand up for children and Peace. This is a specialness that I seek to live-into.

This Fall I am witnessing my stand for children and peace in a several ways.

On Sunday morning I participate with a group of folks who have chosen to set aside 5 minutes of silent prayer for peace each week. We pray silently in many languages and from many different points of view but we pray together. What a power I find in this time of community prayer.

In my weekly and daily prayers I feel called to stand with those who know that peacemaking is not forced on others but a gracious act of listening, learning, valuing others with all their hurts and fears and stories. From this dialog true peacemaking comes to fruition. My prayers are with those who bravely meet in Finland a few weeks ago to do this kind of peacemaking work.

Next week I will start singing with the 3 kindergarten class at Berkeley Arts Magnet School. The songs we will sing will give the kids the gift of songs that lift up; life, abundance, love, friendship, family, the earth and each and every person made by God. These are songs that build a foundation for peace.

On Monday, October 8, (following World Communion Sunday) many in the faith community, include some from Calvary, will be fasting for peace. If you want to join with a group on Monday night over soup and bread to break our fast let me know.

On Saturday, October 27, I am going to join with a group marching in San Francisco. We will be lifting up our voices in a call to ending the war in Iraq. I know I will not agree with everything said by those with whom I march but I feel it is time to stand up to end the craziness of this war in Iraq. I would love it if you would like to join me and my family in this 1 1/2 mile march.

Reporting from my small (but outward looking) place in the world... PEACE!

No comments: